Presenting the OpenMotic Project

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Tue May 11 21:31:19 EDT 2010

SWEET(!) hardware specs for Sungale Wi-Fi Touch ID800WT [1]

Does it run a Linux variant out of the box?

Hardware functionality meets my needs:

-- Touch screen!!
-- 7 inch(or is it 8?) 800x600 TFT LCD
-- USB Host (also USB device)
-- WiFi
-- SD card
-- 512 MB RAM
-- 7 inch (or is it 8?) 800x600 LCD

$175 seems a little pricey, but that has one direction to go: DOWN.

This is not targeted as a mobile device. However it would be nice if a
nice looking case was designed for it.

Assuming we want to reverse engineer this baby, a couple of low risk
(but high reward) hardware tweaks come to mind.

>> accomodate  an ~interbnal! AVR [or similar] microcontoller, loosly coupled 9maybe serial?) to the main SOC. Use the AVR to deliver PLENTY of i/o of various flavors. This could be as simple as a space where a variety
of add-on cards could be piggybacked.

>> add support for an external keyboard.

In summary an "opened up" ID800WT sounds interesting.
Not sure it beats the Hawkboard, now shipping for $89.[2]

May 1,000 flowers bloom.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Sungale-ID800WT-Cyberus-8-Inch-Digital/dp/B002F9N7W2

[2] http://www.hawkboard.org/
---