developer Digest, Vol 11, Issue 21

JDH services jaydeeaich at gmail.com
Fri May 14 09:15:26 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:
> The two guys we spoke with work for that keyboard factory for 2 and 6 years.
> They feel under pressure, but they like this factory because it allows
> them to learn quickly.
> The regular workers live in dormitories, we were told it used to be 10 in
> one room, and no air-con, but thanks to pressure from their customers this
> has now improved down to only 6 workers per room, every room has air-con,
> food options in the cafeteria improved, paid days off (vacation) was
> introduced, etc.
> As much as I would criticize Apple from a copyleft perspective, I have to
> say I have heard several times (also at this factory) that Apple makes sure,
> to the last worker of the last vendor, that people are treated well.
> Apple pushes through, all the way through their supply chain, increases of
> worker salaries around 30% above non-Apple customers. They push through
> improvements in dormitory standards, food choices, overtime protection,
> underage protection, paid days off, and so on. Unfortunately at the
> factories I have seen so far, these improvements only apply to the workers
> working on Apple stuff.

Since you brought the topic up...
Some names and some faces censored to protect the innocent.
--
All condemn *beep* exploition but defend *beep*'s right to be
respected and to earn their living with dignity as "actors in the
economy."
	All these organisations raise a genuine concern: the quality of life
of *beep*, forced to work in the absence of a global alternative -
free schools, an alternative income.  There is no doubt that their
activities (union representation, protection of workers' rights,
solidarity funds, evening classes and heath care) help make the
*beep*'s working conditions less miserable. But these are only
short-term solutions."
Although the unions mean well, their actions support the presence of
*been* on the labour market. "*Beep* labour trade unions don't make
sense. They don't need representative structures. *Beep* should not be
at work," states Guy Ryder.
--

Sincerely,
Panthera Tigris Altaica