Arduino on SACK (again :P ) [was Re: Editing, building, and flashing an arduino sketch directly form Ben]

Carlos Camargo cicamargoba at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:10:14 EDT 2010

David

> Is posible to put this in SACKS FPGA as starter point?

Yes, Sure The current design provide a link between FPGA and processor
serial port, you read my mind :) We've already used another 32 bits
processors plasma and mico 32, we use the serial port for upload binaries.
we use this processors to teach computer architecture, but this AVR chip is
very good thanks for the link.

> What is the teorical maximum capacity of this FPGA in Arduinos as unit
> of measurament : P, should be possible to reach the Arduino Mega
> levels of I/O/Memory/Speed?

I don't know right now, let me read the AVR8 project, then I'll answer your
question. But making a fast reading :

   - 4Kb x 8   (4KB) SRAM
   - 4Kb x 16 (8KB) Program memory

8Mhz system clock

   - Clock can be increased, only testing will determine the maximum
   frequency.

Limitations

   - The original ATmega103 has 128KB of Program memory space. The most that
   can currently be used with the soft processor is 20KB.
   - There are no Analog inputs available.
   - There are no Analog inputs available.
   - The core is not well tested, thorough testing is recommended before use
   in a product.

I think that the main problem is the program memory space, the XC3S500E has
[1] 73k bits of distributed RAM and 360k bits of block RAM, but I think that
 you can put some AVR8s on this FPGA.

I know SACK is more than just that... just the fact that you can have

yes :) Is a good start point, if you want to learn about FPGAs, but I think
that is less efficient economically than use some AVR chips. But as you said
is just one use case, and a good start point.

I think that an interesting project for you will be port the Arduino API to
MIPS, so we can use directly the processor, or control some peripherals
implemented on FPGA like PWM modules, ADC controllers, Digital
General purpose Inputs/Outputs,  image sensor controller, communication
controller, etc, etc, etc.

I'm thinking in python as programing language is very easy to use, will be
another option.

But, I like your obsession with Arduino and FPGAs, when you receive your
SAKC prototype I'll help you to implement and document this project :)

Best regards

Carlos

[1] http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds312.pdf

cicamargoba at unal.edu.co