Ingenic roadmap

Ron K. Jeffries rjeffries at gmail.com
Fri May 14 15:08:08 EDT 2010

Is there any news on new, faster, more capable SOCs from
our friends at Ingenic?

How widely used are Ingenic SOCs? Are they a lot cheaper
than alternatives?

There was a semi-interesting exchange on http://identi.ca
where someone scolded me because the SOC in Nanonote
is not open enough. His concern is the documentation is
NDA, although he agreed Ingenic docs are available on a
"trust" basis.

My challenge is: "Show me a fully open SOC." As you might
expect, Milkymist was the alternative offered

Milkymist (fully open SOC implemented on an FPGA)
is a ~GREAT!~ project. But the cost and performance of FPGAs
that implement an SOC do NOT come close to meeting requirements
for building a semi-mass produced consumer electronic gadget
such as Nanonote.

---
Ron K. Jeffries