OGD1 OGD1 Reconfigurable Computing Platform

Sébastien Bourdeauducq sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net
Mon May 17 05:04:58 EDT 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 05:04:28 Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> Looks like they'll have the first few OGD1 boards built soonish.

They've been making prototype/development boards for years (there was even one
on display at FOSDEM this year). But in this project, the tough part is by far
the FPGA/software development, and it lags well behind the board fabrication.
Last time I checked, they weren't anywhere near designing a proper GPU in the
FPGA, which is a task incredibly more complex than what they did so far. In
the meantime, a few parts have become a bit obsolete on their PCB.

On a side note, that is one of the reasons why I have started with the FPGA
development in Milkymist. I knew this was going to be the most difficult part
(on which the technical success of the project relies), and, so far, it took
me 1.5 years (technically 3, but at the beginning I was basically learning by
doing crappy designs and not being very productive) even though it is much
simpler than what would be needed for a high-end desktop GPU. The problem with
this approach was that "FPGA/logic design" didn't ring a bell for many people,
who disregarded the project because it did not have boards. Hopefully, this
will be addressed very soon :)

Sébastien