Released VP8 codec software under a BSD-like license (an idea)

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Fri May 21 19:27:50 EDT 2010

Andres,

Do you know how VP8 compares to Dirac?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_%28codec%29

> A very interesting project (and challenging) would be port the VP8
> codec to FPGA. It would be nice for the MilkyMist One and the Elphel
> camera  projects.

The Elphel 333 had an entire Theora encoder implemented in the Spartan-3
FPGA (all GPL licensed of course). This was not yet forward ported to the
353. Just fyi.
For 373, Elphel is considering either to forward-port the older Theora
codes into the FPGA, or Dirac. Maybe VP8 is another option now...

Wolfgang