Released VP8 codec software under a BSD-like license (an idea)

Andrés Calderón andres.calderon at emqbit.com
Fri May 21 21:25:21 EDT 2010


On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:
> Andres,
>
> Do you know how VP8 compares to Dirac?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_%28codec%29

Dirac is very interesting, but the BBC has failed to achieve widely acceptance.

Apparently the VP8 has a better compression rate than Dirac and
significantly better than Theora, It seems that VP8 is closer to H.264
compression rate.

>
>> A very interesting project (and challenging) would be port the VP8
>> codec to FPGA. It would be nice for the MilkyMist One and the Elphel
>> camera  projects.
>
> The Elphel 333 had an entire Theora encoder implemented in the Spartan-3
> FPGA (all GPL licensed of course). This was not yet forward ported to the
> 353. Just fyi.
> For 373, Elphel is considering either to forward-port the older Theora
> codes into the FPGA, or Dirac. Maybe VP8 is another option now...
>

While Dirac is based on wavelets, the VP8 is based on DCT like Theora
(This helps to use the lessons teached from Andrey Filippov).

> Wolfgang
>

    Andrés Calderón
    Cel:     +57 (300) 275 3666
    Email: andres.calderon at emqbit.com
    Gtalk:  andresfcalderon at gmail.com
    Web:    www.emqbit.com


> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 06:07:52PM -0500, Andrés Calderón wrote:
>> Hi ,
>>
>> A source of very interesting projects can come from the Open VP8 codec
>> release. "On May 19, 2010, Google, which acquired On2 in 2010,
>> released VP8 codec software under a BSD-like license and the VP8
>> bitstream format specification under an irrevocable free patent
>> license  at its May 2010 Google I/O conference":
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP8
>>
>> A very interesting project (and challenging) would be port the VP8
>> codec to FPGA. It would be nice for the MilkyMist One and the Elphel
>> camera  projects.
>>
>> VP8 specs
>> http://www.webmproject.org/code/specs/
>>
>> VP8 code
>> http://www.webmproject.org/code/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Andrés Calderón
>>     Cel:     +57 (300) 275 3666
>>     Email: andres.calderon at emqbit.com
>>     Gtalk:  andresfcalderon at gmail.com
>>     Web:    www.emqbit.com
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Qi Developer Mailing List
>> Mail to list (members only): developer at lists.qi-hardware.com
>> Subscribe or Unsubscribe: http://en.qi-hardware.com/mailman/listinfo/developer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Qi Developer Mailing List
> Mail to list (members only): developer at lists.qi-hardware.com
> Subscribe or Unsubscribe: http://en.qi-hardware.com/mailman/listinfo/developer
>




More information about the discussion mailing list


interactive