[Milkymist-devel] Milkymist project news, May 20th

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu May 20 16:34:18 EDT 2010

>>>>> "S,Ai(Bbastien" == S,Ai(Bbastien Bourdeauducq <sebastien.bourdeauducq at lekernel.net> writes:

    S,Ai(Bbastien> Because many people seem to focus exclusively on Milkymist
    S,Ai(Bbastien> One, I think it is worthwhile to make a quick reminder so
    S,Ai(Bbastien> they will not be disappointed. What is coming out of the
    S,Ai(Bbastien> factory in a couple of days really are blank and untested
    S,Ai(Bbastien> FPGA boards, and nothing else. Porting the existing SoC
    S,Ai(Bbastien> design to them is likely to take weeks. It$,1ry(Bs not like
    S,Ai(Bbastien> flashing a new board equipped with a proven microcontroller
    S,Ai(Bbastien> with a well-established OS, it$,1ry(Bs about porting an existing
    S,Ai(Bbastien> SoC design to the bleeding-edge Spartan-6 FPGA technology. We
    S,Ai(Bbastien> are likely to encounter synthesizer bugs, timing problems,
    S,Ai(Bbastien> and high-speed I/O issues specifically around the DDR
    S,Ai(Bbastien> SDRAM. There is also substantial background development to be
    S,Ai(Bbastien> made (develop a JTAG flasher, modify the NOR flash controller
    S,Ai(Bbastien> so it supports the M1 chip, design, implement and test a
    S,Ai(Bbastien> double- data-rate I/O system for the SDRAM compatible with
    S,Ai(Bbastien> the Spartan-6, etc.). All of this will definitely take
    S,Ai(Bbastien> time. On top of that, software needs to be developed or
    S,Ai(Bbastien> improved: the RTEMS port, the Genode FX GUI toolkit and the
    S,Ai(Bbastien> Flickernoise VJ application. The Milkymist One PCB is only
    S,Ai(Bbastien> the visible part of the iceberg, really.

One thing to keep in mind is also the longer clock-to-pin times for the S6
(and V6) against S3. S6 is slower even with DCM applied against S3 without
DCM. PLL phase shift may be a way to improve  clock-to-pin against shorter
setup times and increased complexity...

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de