Re-compile lua to use double precision for floating-point numbers

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Sun May 2 17:42:31 EDT 2010

I'm trying to set the values for Lua so that it will use double
precision for floating point numbers.  Yes, I know it will be slow:)
However, I am trying to compare the Nanonote to some other small
computers I have, and all of them come with Lua set to use double
precision for floating-pint numbers.  Since I am already doing a
custom image for the Nanonote I thought it should not be that hard to
get Lua compiled to do the same:)

Well, it turns out to be rather too complex for me:( The latest
version of Lua (5.1.4) from its website has a luaconf.h which contains
the number definition.  Openwrt extensively patches/modifies this so
that in addition to luaconf.h, there is a lnum_config.h file as well.
Not having programmed in C for some decades, all of my attempts ended
either not changing the number representation or in changing it in
such a way that parts were broken.

Does anyone on this list know what changes are required in luaconf.h
and lnum_config.h so that Lua will properly use double-precision
floating point numbers?  If not, what is the best place within the
OpenWRT community to inquire as to how that should be done?

                      Delbert