Debian on the Nano

Delbert Franz ddf at sonic.net
Mon May 3 10:55:03 EDT 2010

On Monday 03 May 2010, Rubén Berenguel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just saw a tweet from jptmoore pointing to
> http://sharism.cc/2010/05/02/along-comes-debian/ Great! But what does
> it mean for OpenWRT in the Nano? I was about to prepare a completely
> usable makefile for yacas and 4th (forth compiler), which I have now
> running in the nano, but if debian is available as a build
> environment, building and making packages directly on the nano is (or
> should be) straightforward.
>
> Do I keep making these makefiles or better forget it and install debian?
>
> --
> ====================================
> * Rubén Berenguel
> * http://www.mostlymaths.net
> ====================================

This is good news!  After reading the info in the above link, it
appears that flashing the Ben can turn out to be a bit of an ordeal.
I have done it once with the latest image from Qi-Hardware.  It went
well.  However, all of my custom images are copied to a micro SD card
and I prefer to use them for experimenting:) I keep a rather standard
O/S on the NAND as a backup.  An 8GB card is about $20 US and has
plenty of room--I currently have four of them for this purpose.

Would it be possible to supply the files/methods needed to setup this
port of Debian to boot from the micro SD card?

Also glad to see that 500 Nanonotes are already in the hands of end
users--hope the next 500 goes out even faster:)

                        Delbert