Ben's software: a user perspective

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Fri May 7 07:06:14 EDT 2010

Fernando all you have said have a lot of sense,
my comments in line.

2010/5/7 Fernando Carello <fcarello at libero.it>:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to share with you my personal view on the Ben. I hope I'm not going to be flamed, anyway I have my flame suite on. :D
Your words where kind and you have point a lot of useful stuff, you
can put off the flame suite, no fire here :P

> Let me start with a brief introduction.
> I have the Ben and like it, it's really nice.
> I like Linux, I work with it since 1992.
> I like programming; I work with image recognition stuff and GPU computing.
> But, I think (personal opinion...) that the Ben should be graced with a reasonable suite of user-friendly GUI utilities, properly integrated with gmenu2x. Like gmu, as an example.
>
> I know, many of you think that command-line utilies like "gcal" and "bc" are great and all that's needed; I beg to disagree, because of Ben's limitations (keyboard and screen limitations, that is).
having a bunch of shell apps doesn't harm anyone, and surelly, at
least me, have started to port that ones because they are usally easy
to manage due not much dependencies to deal with but I agree the more
sweet candy eye apps the better :)

> We already have:
>
> - graphic launcher (gmenu2x). Could use some specific Ben tweaks (keyboard mapping, help file)
> - PDF reader (nupdf)
> - multimedia player (gmu)
>
> I think that the Ben would shine with:
>
> - a decent PIM suite with a nice GUI (QT-based, maybe): address book, clock/alarm, calendar, todo list, notes and the like
> - a simple, nice graphical calculator and unit conversion utility
> - a basic spreadsheet (simpler and lighter than SIAG, if possible)
Add a simple&fast  Image/Video player and you will have the Image of
my dreams :)

> It's my opinion that, with such a software suite, Ben's adoption could spread beyond reasearches, uber-geeks and gadget freaks. This in turn could raise Ben's popularity, Sharism concepts and ultimately could help Sharism collecting resources (money, user base etc.) for future projects.
Totally agree

> I think we also need to address some long standing bugs:
>
> - fully working, flexible power saving mode (clock speed modulation, backlight levels, ...). Such a device really needs accurate power management in my humble opinion
Due time to boot is relative small I don't think there is a priority
now, we can just shutdown the device to save batt :), but  if we
achieve a good reliable suspend/resume time can be a good add.
> - fast SD access (DMA)
on Lars todo list :)
> - screen flickering. Mine flickers like crazy in graphic mode
this is also fixed and will be on next release, the guilty was gmenu2x
playing with CPU clocking, Lars has smached that bug :)

> Now, I can foresee the typical "Well, and so? Fix it by yourself, it's open source baby!", but really, do you think an individual with little spare time can reasonably "fix by himself" everything?
Hey haven't you read the motto of Qi-Hardware? is "Do it yourself? Do
it together!!!" :P, the most rought answer you can receive is "no time
now, added to the TODO list!" :P

> Maybe, if some of you share my point of view, we could try and organize a developing team.
> In my opinion, this team should be actively driven by Sharism/QI staff people and work steadily (if slowly), by milestones, in order not to waste resources.
+1, count with a tester/bug cacher here.

> That said, all I can offer (besides this message :-) ) is a bit of my time as a C developer.
> I don't know much about Linux kernel, but if properly instructed, I can work on whatever C project.
I aim to people to join this initiative :)