Ben's software: a user perspective

nebajoth nebajoth at gmail.com
Sat May 8 09:28:17 EDT 2010

Although I am one of the consolephiles you allude to, I am essentially
in agreement with your position.  But I don't like the word "suite".  It
makes my open source hackles raise.

Rather than develop a monolithic suite of PIM utilities however, I would
highly recommend adopting a more granular approach and just producing
the components so that people can mix and match as they choose/have need
of.  We need to adopt the Unix philosophy of "Do one thing and do it
well" on an application-by-application basis.

Why?  Because the price and linuxy power of this unit threatens with
explosive potential.  We are innovating in a frontier-space in terms of
screen size and interaction.  We need to pause and figure out the best
way to display information and inputs to the user on this greatly
reduced screen.

The recent movements of the Gnome Desktop and the KDE Desktop, and via
them the large distros, into the netbook space is an encouraging step.
People are discovering how to display information more efficiently in
smaller spaces.  It's becoming a science.

But a netbook is still many times the size of a nanobook, and Canonical
isn't throwing money at interface designers for a 320x240 screen...yet.
 Actually, probably ever. They already ave for the iphone/droid actually.

We basically have to do that innovation ourselves.  And there will
always be a place for 320x240 design.  It just might be running on the
wrist watches of 2015.