Ben's software: a user perspective

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Mon May 10 18:58:51 EDT 2010

Fernando,

> So, how does wiki updating work?
> Say I want to add an item in the software wish list..?
> Sorry, I'm a total newbie in the wiki world. :-)

No problem at all, thanks for asking.
We are using the MediaWiki software, same as the one used by Wikipedia and
many other wikis. The MediaWiki User's Manual is here
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Contents

I looked at it a bit, and like what they say about 'editing pages'
"The number one rule of wiki editing, is to be bold. Dive in and make changes.
 Other people can correct mistakes later, so have confidence, and give it a
 try! There can be all kinds of editing conventions, rules, and philosophy
 governing the editing of wiki pages, but the "be bold" rule overrides these!"

Yes! That is the #1 rule indeed.

You can make edits in the Qi wiki anonymously, but I suggest you create a
user account first
http://en.qi-hardware.com/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup&returnto=Main_Page
(sorry the CAPTCHA is a bit hard, if you fail that test several times please
let me know and we need to make it a bit easier :-))

After you create your account, the best way to start a new page is to link it
from somewhere, so find a good starting place (don't hesitate to put something
on the homepage either), and add the link to your new page by inserting
[[Name of new page]] into the text. Then save that page, and click on your
newly created link to start your own page. Editing the software wishlist as
you asked for is even easier, just click on "Edit" at the top of the page,
make edits and save them.

As the MediaWiki manual says, don't worry about conventions and stuff. It is
easy to cleanup or reorganize what you did later, but there has to be
something to be organized first :-)
If you run into any problems please speak up, also I may suggest the
#qi-hardware IRC channel for quick questions to you. If you don't have an
IRC client Freenode's web interface is quite nice
http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick=1&channels=qi-hardware

Hope this helps, Best Regards,
Wolfgang