Debian - blank screen after booting.

Phil Endecott spam_from_qihw at chezphil.org
Tue May 11 17:01:07 EDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

I've just tried to install Debian per the instructions at
http://pyneo.org/howto/debian/nano.html , using the debian-lenny-mini filesystem.

After flashing, which seemed to go OK, I wasn't sure how I was expected
to reboot.  I pushed the power button and re-plugged USB in various
combinations but couldn't get anything to happen.  Eventually I removed
the battery; when I re-inserted it, it powered up with the display
backlight on, but nothing displayed.

Eventually I was surprised to discover (via the USB network) that the
Debian installation is running i.e. I can ssh in.  I then found that I
can get a console by pressing ctrl-alt-f2.  ctrl-alt-f1 goes back to
the blank screen.

Checking /etc/inittab shows that runlevel 2 has a terminal only on vt2,
and indeed it does seem to be in runlevel 2.

Is this the expected behaviour?  If so, it's not a great "out of box
experience", as they say.  If not, what have I done to get in this state?

Thanks to everyone who helped to get it this far.

Regards,  Phil.