Future Copyleft devices

Sam Geeraerts samgee at elmundolibre.be
Tue May 25 15:59:29 EDT 2010

Ron K. Jeffries schreef:
> With over 500 Nanonotes now out in the wild, why is this list so quiet?
> Where is the passion, the enthusiasm? Fair question, methinks. ;)

I'm mostly lurking because I don't know much about hardware and low
level software development and I don't have much time to play with my
NanoNote. I bought it for the same reason I bought a GP2X, a Freerunner
and a YeeLoong: I very much want free-software-friendly hardware to
succeed. More open hardware (and especially copyleft hardware) would
make the free software ecosystem much more comfortable (cooperation
between hardware and software devs instead of NDAs and reverse engineering).

I hope that my next hard drive/motherboard/video card/cell phone/TV/car
can/will run free software (while using the hardware to its full
potential) and will (ideally) be copyleft hardware.

Regarding just the NanoNote for now: I realize that its success depends
for a large part on the applications it can run and the use cases people
can find for it. Instead of singing the boring old free software dev's
"I don't have much time" song I should roll up my sleeves and do
something about it. Maybe I will, later. :)

Until then I'll say that the recent suggestion of making a list of
needed applications and gently nudging (potential) developers in its
direction is a good idea.