Future Copyleft devices

marc zonzon marc.zonzon at gmail.com
Wed May 26 07:38:26 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Fernando <fcarello at libero.it> wrote:
>> With over 500 Nanonotes now out in the wild, why is this list so quiet?
>> Where is the passion, the enthusiasm? Fair question, methinks. ;)
>
> We Need Easy-to-use, Captivating, Useful Software.
> :-)
>
> Seriously, what may people *do* with the Ben at the moment?
> Basically no personal productivity software, no PIM, no complete multimedia
> player, no independent Internet access, no self-hosting dev suite.

I cannot agree with you Fernando, presently I have on my Nano
 - my main productivity tool emacs
- the script languages that I use python and lua,
- many shells, all gnu tools, sed, awk, ...,
-  all the source management software you can dream of, I use git to
synchronise my BNN with laptop, and to keep track of my configuration,
 - many PIM software I personally use pal, calcurse, abook, and emacs-org,
 - for image and pdf we have framebuffer viewers,
 -  for sound we have a plethora of applications, decoders, encoders

May be for some users it looks like geek software, developer software,
but not "Easy-to-use, Captivating" software! For simple minded people
like me it is "easy to use" software. I'm too stupid to master
"evolution" so I'm happy with emacs-org, mutt and many basic tools
that I have the ability to configure and to tweak to my needs.

> Right now, the Ben is like a toolbox we have to fill with, well, tools.
> Possibly user-oriented tools. GUI tools. Ben-tailored tools.

May be, we need tools, but what missing today is the basic layers,
display layer and input layer still incomplete, communication layer,
each of us can package an application, either in Debian or OpenWrt
once you know the process it's not so difficult. But all these
applications lie on a software stack, and to develop and maintain
these layers that are shared among many applications we need to
collaborate.

> It is exciting for some, yet frustrating for many.
> We have to roll up our sleeves, put off the nerd-suit and wear the user-
> oriented-developer suit, for a while at least. :-)
> We can do it !

On this point we completely agree, so the main task I see for Nano
software development is to set up a true developer community, and
build the communication tools necessary to keep this community alive
and active.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Fernando Carello <fcarello at libero.it> wrote:

> Now, I can't volunteer to implement these web-related changes because I know nothing about wiki or CSS and very little about HTML; plus I have very little spare time, which I think I'd better spend coding. :-)
>
> So I think it would be great to have a volounteer who is proficient in HTML/CSS/Wiki and can maintain Ben-software-related pages on a regular basis. :-)

I don't think any volunteer can take up on itself to coordinate many
developers having only sharing their interest in the Nano.

The way to set up a wiki is to have (back to my previous rant!)
differents layers, the knowledge of the famework designer is not the
same than those of the wiki designer, the web designer must master the
global apparence of the wiki, he will deal globally with css ;.. the
site architect must set up a common framework and set up a common
discipline of use of the wiki (I consider this global architecture as
missing in Qi hardware wiki -:) ).
I personnaly think that it would be good then to separate the
different projects, and according to your interest and your knowledge
you can choose to participate in one project. In other words you will
not say "I know to do that" but rather "I volunteer to take that task,
or contribute to that task".
For the pages of the Wiki, Wikis have been set up as to allow people
without any knowledge of html, css, javascript to share their
knowledge. Every one can with a very smooth learning curve, begin to
publish in a Wiki. The main problem with Wiki is often to enforce a
common policy, to avoid to have only a bunch of scattered pages. There
is two models to remedy that, the centralized where some people
(helped by robots) browse the whole content and , recall the policies
to authors, delete unsuitable pages, or propose changes, the
distributed model where each project is responsible of its own policy,
that nevertheless must be compatible with so common rules. There are
also, as usual hybrids between centralized or distributed. As an
example Wikipedia use the two models centralized one enforces the
'Five Pillars' (look at this page on Wikipedia) with the large 'List
of policies' but each portal has also some control on articles.
Because it is lighter and allows a quicker feedback, I would propose
to better have the distributed model for Nanonote software.
It is what I have proposed for the project of Debian-BNN without any success -):

Marc