Future Copyleft devices

Phil Endecott spam_from_qihw at chezphil.org
Wed May 26 07:46:18 EDT 2010

Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> With over 500 Nanonotes now out in the wild, why is this list so quiet?

Speaking only for myself as 1/500th of the userbase: because it doesn't
do anything useful, so it will sit on the corner of my desk and get
covered in dust.  It's a solution in search of a problem.  No, this is
not a software issue: we now have all those thousands of packages in
Debian.  The problem is that it has no connectivity (or expansion that
supports connectivity, except for the one expensive micro-SD WiFi
card).  When smart phones arrived, the PDA died because the phone could
do all the PDA functions and more.  The NanoNote has the same problem.
It's great that it is free, but being free doesn't make it useful.

Regards,  Phil.