Emacs on nano (was Re: Future Copyleft devices)

marc zonzon marc.zonzon at gmail.com
Wed May 26 09:26:59 EDT 2010

2010/5/26 Rubén Berenguel <ruben at mostlymaths.net>:
> Marc,
>
> I haven't read completely your e-mail: just read emacs and jumped to
> ask: Have you got *emacs* on the nano? Not zile, but emacs? (I know
> zile is "somewhat OK", but emacs is emacs, and org-mode is... you
> know, great)
>
> Ruben

Ruben

I have developed nothing regarding emacs, I just installed Debian on
my Nano, then emacs is in the mipsel repository. You have just to find
small fonts, 8pts wide is too big it let only 40 chars, 6pts is better
with 53 chars (OK with console Terminus 6x12), 5pts would be better,
it would be nice if somebody was giving a link to a small readable
console font.
In any case with a frame buffer terminal you can scale your ttf fonts
at will. I use fbterm that works nicely.
Once emacs installed, you can import all the desired elisp libraries.
On nanonotes org-mode synchronized with git is great!!!

It is why I cannot agree with Fernando saying "no personal
productivity software, no PIM"; I have tried so long to get a PIM on
mobile device that I can synchronize with my other computers, now I
have emacs on my mobile device, no need to export or import anything
just synchronize with git/mercurial/subversion/cvs or whatever scm you
want!

Marc