Future Copyleft devices

Phil Endecott spam_from_qihw at chezphil.org
Wed May 26 12:13:54 EDT 2010

Fernando Carello wrote:
>> this is
>> not a software issue: we now have all those thousands of packages in
>> Debian
>
> I don't agree on this point.
> Yes we have potentially a large number of packages, but
> no Ben-tailored packages.
> Which use for say Firefox on the Ben?

A web browser would be a particularly useless application for a device
with no networking.  (Well yes, you can get networking over USB if you
plug it into a computer - but then surely you would just use the
computer's web browser 99.9999% of the time.)

But if you insist on a web browser, well, Debian has many of them
including e.g. lynx and netsurf.  I have seen netsurf running on a
device with a significantly slower processor and less RAM than the
NanoNote, talking directly to the framebuffer (though I don't know
whether the Debian package is built for that).

> Same goes for Nautilus, FSpot and so on.

Similar answers I guess, though I haven't really looked.  * Please
avoid "Not Invented Here" syndrome! *

Phil.