Ben wireless connectivity (was: Future Copyleft Devices)

Rafael Campos methril at gmail.com
Fri May 28 13:31:05 EDT 2010

Hi all,

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc> wrote:
> Fernando,
> all good, thanks for your feedback!
>
>> Yes, in theory we have that microsd WiFi card, but in practice, it's extremely difficult to purchase and it's extremely pricey.
>
> It's not difficult to purchase at all, but pricy yes I agree.
> First, Pulster has some in stock, for 89 EUR incl. VAT
> http://pulster.de/d__msdwlan__NanoNote_WLAN_Karte_microSD_von_Spectec1233.htm
> For US and other regions, a reliable source is Expansys
> http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=140798
>
> This is the only microSD Wi-Fi card on the market, and maybe the only one
> that will ever exist. About price, I agree it's expensive, and it will
> not come down. The economics of this product just don't work out.
> But it's a marvel of technology and actually I can really recommend it for
> hackers, just for the joy of seeing this unbelievably small thing at work
> in the Ben NanoNote :-)
>
> I still have one I can send to you for hacking for free, from the 10-15
> we bought a long time ago to support hackers. If you want to port some
> apps that require Wi-Fi connectivity, just let me know and I'll send
> it to you. The cool thing about this card is that it works out of the box!
> We have done a tremendous amount of work on this card, only to find our
> efforts nullified by the brutal economic realities of proprietary technology.
> Unfortunately it will be like this over and over again with proprietary
> stuff. Been there, done that (multiple times).
>
>> And there are no microsd BT cards.
>
> True. I think Guylhem was planning to hack a Bluetooth module to the NanoNote,
> let's see what comes out of that (currently it's stuck because we need to
> send him a few more parts).
>
>> A standard SD-size card with sort of a SD-microSD adapter (with a very
>> short cable?) would be OK I think: you snap it in when it's needed.
>
> Actually we have already sent such type of adapters to people for free.
> (last year's Qi Christmas gift :-))
> I can put one in the mail for you if you email me your shipping address.
> Does anybody know a full-size SD card with Marvell 8686 or even 8688
> (that would include Bluetooth)?
> Or one with a well supported Atheros chip?

It's not a SD card, but it looks really promissing to develop a
WiFI/Bluetooth/FM system with it:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12762&contentId=29993
It's propietary, but we doesn't have so much options in this scenario.
The 7.0 chips also provides GPS.
Maybe is out of scope of Qi to start a WiFi/Bluetooth/FM SD project,
but those chips does the things easier (maybe for Ya).

> No worries, we are all well aware how cool it would be if the NanoNote had
> more connectivity options. To get there, we need a few more people to buy
> Ben NanoNotes today, we need them to hack on them, both port applications,
> and also do some hardware hacks which indeed require spending even more
> money. That is the unfortunate nature of hardware. We are trying all we can
> already to make this as easy and affordable as possible.
>
> Thanks for your feedback again, very appreciated,
> Wolfgang

Reagards,