More debian-nano problems: apt-get bus error

Kristoffer Ericson kristoffer.ericson at gmail.com
Mon May 31 03:00:10 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 06:52:07AM +0000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> Kristoffer,
>
> > It was common on Hp 600 jornadas also with ipkg (16MB ram) and
> > was solved by adding swap-space.
>
> Swap on flash is painful, whether that's on the internal NAND chip or a
> microSD card. Where was the swap space stored in the Jornada? Any problems
> with NAND write cycles?

I wasnt suggesting adding swap to the nand, that would be a bad idea.
On the jornada we run off the Compactflash card so we use swap on that, Its
also limited in read/write but Ive heard extremely little about any issues with that.
My own theory is that people replace their CF before reaching the limits.

> I read that Linux 2.6.33 introduced 'compressed memory' and at some point
> Lars said he already looked at that a bit. So not sure whether this will
> work on the 2.6.34 kernel now, or how many more megabytes can realistically
> be squeezed out with that, and at what performance penalty.

Would be interesting to see.

> Reminds me a bit of those scam 'RAM Doubler' and what not many years ago :-)
> But well, I read it's in Linux now, so who knows maybe it helps...

Yeah I remember those also :D Only created hassle, same for the DOS style
compressions. Cant help but feel that it will replace RAM troubles with
performance issues instead.