new (testing) image

Xiangfu Liu xiangfu at sharism.cc
Wed Nov 10 08:55:33 EST 2010

Hi Mirko

feedback inline :)

On 11/10/2010 08:02 PM, Mirko Vogt wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> since restructuring the git repository is now completed (thanks a lot to
> Xiangfu at this point) and _lot's_ of fixes and updates have been
> applied into the git repository since the last image got released, we
> now have - guess what? - a new (testing) image[1]! :)
>
> As last time it's marked as "testing" for now.
>
> That means, from now on a merge window of 1 week got opened - feedback
> is highly appreciated!
>
> I created a "testing" branch which is based on the commit the testing
> image was was built from.
>
> The idea is to merge over _just_ patches, which fix essential / critical
> stuff, into the "testing" branch while the merge window is open.
>
> That way the "master"-branch will stay open for enhancements and new
> features, while we can ensure the testing-branch will not get
> accidentally broken but stabilized for the actual release image.

hmm... I think we don't need "testing" branch, since we have the VERSIONS file[1].
all the commit should goto "master" branch and "master" should always ready for
release,

AFAIK, it's always create a tag like 2010-11-10-rc1 for testing etc. and some project
create a "next" branch for gathers all commits to be delayed after release.
since there is no >30 people commit to openwrt-xburst.git we don't need the -rc1 or "next"
either.

so let's just keep using "master" branch and VERSIONS file. what do you think?

BTW:
we definitely need those two commit in "master" (that's why I advice master branch as release branch :)
 *[linux] support increase/decrease in screen brightness
 *[config.full_system] add gcc-mips, fixed in openwrt package: 8dbf61c, tested in build hosts

[1]http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/software/images/NanoNote/Ben/testing/2010-11-07/VERSIONS

> A summarized change log of major improvements / changes:
>
>  - heavily restructured git repository to make it more easy to track
> changes with upstream
>  - change rootfs size from 256MB to 512MB
>  - switch back to uclibc 0.9.30.1, since we experienced issues with
> 0.9.32 which are going to be investigated
>  - all used toolkits (sdl, gtk2, qt4) are working again
>  - lot's of packages - within the openwrt-packages as well as in the
> qi-packages repository - have been updated to fit more the needs of
> NanoNote users

new packages and features:

CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_ASSUME_UNICODE=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_VI_8BIT=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_STAT=y
CONFIG_BUSYBOX_CONFIG_HOSTNAME=y

CONFIG_PACKAGE_gforth=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_kexec-tools=y (I like this :)
CONFIG_PACKAGE_picoc=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_jbig2dec=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_openjpeg=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_unifont=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_cmdpad=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ghostscript=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_hwclock=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_io=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_mupdf-tools=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_binutils=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_libbfd=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_objdump=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_erlang=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_jbofihe=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_lojban-wordlists=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_makfa=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_fbgs=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_fbi=y
CONFIG_PACKAGE_ben-cyrillic=m
(I like this, hope more package like this come out :)
CONFIG_PACKAGE_nupdf=y

(using ./scripts/feeds search PACKAGE_NAME for get some package info)

>  - lot's of new and fixed packages have been added to the default config
> and therewith image
>  - the toolchain and SDK are now built by default to simplify
> development and cross-compiling / -linking of software

some addition:
   - we have add data/ for keeping NanoNote special files.

conf/
├── config.full_system	#the .config file for our release
├── config.minimal	#very very small rootfs, only have base package. no gtk ...
├── config.xbboot	#this is for create zImage + initramfs image.
			#which is for reflash,testing kernel or for FUN :)
├── config.xbboot.README
└── feeds.conf		#NanoNote default feeds.conf, always cp it to openwrt ROOT folder
scripts/
├── build		#a scripts build NanoNote images, will keep build log, versions, etc.
└── reflash_ben.sh	#the openwrt release reflash scripts file.
files/			#additions files in openwrt rootfs.

Hi Mirko
I have create a daily building (every two days) of openwrt:
	http://fidelio.qi-hardware.com/~xiangfu/compile-log/

the next build will trigger at 2010-11-11, if everything compile fine.
I advice use 2010-11-11 as the next release.
another thing is I am thinking of should we include the minimal rootfs[2] and zImage[3] to next release.
the zImage works pretty good now. so maybe it's the time to include the zImage,
minimal rootfs, I am not sure.

[2]http://fidelio.qi-hardware.com/~xiangfu/compile-log/image-minimal-11092010-2202/openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-root.ubi
[3]http://fidelio.qi-hardware.com/~xiangfu/compile-log/image-xbboot-11092010-2252/openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-zImage.bin

--