packages conflict

Mark Tuson markfptuson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 13:33:24 EST 2010

Yeah it takes a while to boot and halt, but my way of coping with it is
incredibly simple: keep it charged, and never turn it off. Its uptime
has reached two months recently, but then it ran out of power on
Saturday. I charged it, and turned it on again, and it's fine now. I
don't use a GUI on it - partly because the programs I use won't work on
a machine with spec as low as the NanoNote, and partly because I want to
learn more about purely CLI-based operation. In my experience, all the
CLI apps work (except java, which just hangs the system) and rogue
(which needs an 80x24 display; I've got 60x20 or whatever it is - it
hangs the system because of it). X with TWM or FVWM loads in a few
seconds, but XFCE takes about five minutes. SIMH works fine (well,
altairz80 and pdp11 do, wanted to try vax but I don't really want a vax
simulator on there). I basically use my NanoNote as a miniature laptop,
for taking notes, a little programming, and exploring old UNIX (what
SIMH is there for).

I went with Debian because it's what I have on all my other computers. I
put a 16G uSD card in it: 64M for swap, the rest for storage (and Debian
supports ext4, too :) ). And it comes with GCC and whatnot, while
compiling for OpenWRT seems to require building the cross-compiler and
system stuff, which was quite ugly when I tried to do it.

The only problems I've had on Debian were swapping and keymapping
(solved ages ago now), passwords (solved when I apt-got dist-upgrade a
couple of months ago), and the keymap in X, which I haven't solved, but
isn't desperate. It would be nice if the keymap was right in X (because
I want to be able to use TWM/FVWM), but since there's no mouse and the
display's too small, I'd probably never use it if it did work.

Mark.