Nanonote: Kernel panic-not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel
ddf at sonic.net
Mon Nov 29 19:02:31 EST 2010
On Sunday 28 November 2010, Xiangfu Liu wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 09:21 AM, Delbert Franz wrote:
> > 1. The first partition contains the uImage from the toolchain compile
> > and is stored under /boot. It is called "uImage".
> > 2. The second partition contains the root file system taken by
> > extracting from openwrt-xburst-qi_lb60-rootfs.tar.gz
> Hi Delbert
> since the last u-boot works fine with ext2 partition. so we decide put
> the KERNEL and ROOTFS both in FIRST EXT2 partition.
> so you can try copy all rootfs file to first partition. then try again.
> Please let me know which wiki page still tell users put rootfs to
> second partition, it's out date, we definitely need update it. :)
> Best Regards
> -- Qi RSS feed, http://en.qi-hardware.com/feed/rss20.xml --
Thanks for the quick response--it is nice that the Ben has experts in
different time zones! This means while some are sleeping, others
1. I did not find any wiki page that described either the old or new
partition layout. I think I got the old layout from the mailing list
but I can't put my hand on the message now. I just followed what I
2. I found almost nothing useful on the wiki about booting from a
Micro SD card. Perhaps I don't know how to look for it?
I got both my old system and the new system to boot and run once I
repartitioned and copied items to the expected locations. Again,
thanks for the simple solution that came so quickly!
Here are some observations on my experience of building the toolchain
after many months of only using my Nanonote:
1. The build no long completes under Debian Lenny, which I use on all
of my current production level PC's. The toolchain build now requires
a cmake at version 1.8 and the only version for Lenny is 1.6.
2. I created a Squeeze install on one of my old machines and that
version of Debian, to be released sometime in the next number of
months, had cmake at version 1.8
3. The package list for Debian on the wiki page is a bit
dated for the Squeeze release:
3.1 jikes is no longer in Squeeze. I got a build without it.
3.2 The package "mercurial" should be added to the list.
At least one of the download sites in the current toolchain
build process uses the mercurial version control system.
I also loaded some of the other "mecurial-xxx" packages
but I'm not sure they were needed.
4. The question in the "New User Guide" about how to mount a
partition on the Micro SD card was not helpful--the Openwrt config
system is a bit confusing and will require quite a bit of study.
There was no clue in that page as to what the device names are on a
micro SD card. They are set by Linux and are not unique to the Ben:)
The simple answer is that putting
mount /dev/mmcblk0px <mount point directory name>
in rc.local under /etc works like a charm on my Ben. The "x" in the
device name should be replaced with the partition number, starting
with 1 for the first partition on the SD card. In my case I use
mount /dev/mmcblk0p3 /pj
in rc.local and the third partition is mounted on each boot.
5. The wiki page for disabling gmenu2x, reached from the "New User
Guide", no longer applies to the latest released software images. The
file, S99startup is no longer present. Go to /etc/inittab and modify
the line for tty1 to have the same contents as tty2 and you will no
longer see gmenu2x appear. A simple return gets one into the command
line on tty1.
6. Having a system name of: BenNanonote, is a bit long for my taste.
I fixed that by going into /etc/config/system and replacing
"BenNanonote" with "nn" . Note: the quotes DO NOT appear in the lines
in the file-only here to set things off as a special string.
I now have two different variations of partioning working for the
image I built. One has a single large partition with everything in
it. The other has three partitions: rootfs with kernel, a small swap
partition, and then a larger data partition. I got swap activated on
that card but I'm not sure if it is needed:) All of my SD cards are 8G
B Transcend cards and they seem to work well and are reasonably fast
being rated as Class 6.
Just some observations based on about 10 hours of sorting out various
More information about the discussion