FSF hardware endorsement program

Phil Endecott spam_from_qihw at chezphil.org
Sat Oct 16 09:53:13 EDT 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> Some comments here are interesting
> http://lwn.net/Articles/409965/
>
> "So is the FSF the "Free high-level software foundation" now?"

Most of those comments are mine.

I have always been irritated by what seems to me to be a false division
between "hardware" and "software".  I have worked with FPGAs and chip
design and that seems to use the same part of my brain as writing
software, yet others believe there is something fundamentally different
that makes software patents bad but hardware patents OK.

But putting aside the philosophy, I think there's a more fundamental
reason to avoid this particular endorsement.  It restricts the
vocabulary that you're allowed to use to describe the product in the
publicity and even in interviews to the terms that the FSF approves
of.  Most well-known is the ban on saying "Linux" without qualifying it
somehow.  Would you be able to agree to that?  My feeling is that it's
too much for them to ask.

Regards,  Phil.