FSF hardware endorsement program

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Tue Oct 26 04:45:20 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:37 PM, David Kuehling <dvdkhlng at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just stumbled into:
>
>  http://www.fsf.org/news/endorsement-criteria/
>
> Looks like the Nanonote (and other qi hardware) would fulfill the
> criteria.  From their wiki:
>

> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Hardware/Endorsement_criteria#What_comes_with_an_FSF_endorsement.3F
>
> "The exact methods we use to advertise an endorsement are negotiated on
>  a case-by-case basis, depending on your own marketing needs, what's
>  appropriate for the specific product being endorsed, and other
>  factors. The following arrangements can all be discussed:
>
>   * An endorsement badge you can display on your product's packaging,
>     marketing, and other materials
>   * Use of the FSF name in your press releases and advertising,
>     including quotes from FSF executives
>   * Publication of a press release through the FSF's own channels,
>     either jointly with your own or separately
> "
>
> Now with the FSF sometimes being regarded as "extremist" the question
> is, what kind of unforseen side-effects such an endorsement could have
> :) (That is: judging from the usual FSF/RSM/GPL bashing one sometimes
> encounters in slashdot comments; I myself have quite some respect for
> what the FSF does :)
>
> David
> --
> GnuPG public key: http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~dvdkhlng/dk.gpg
> Fingerprint: B17A DC95 D293 657B 4205  D016 7DEF 5323 C174 7D40

So I'm really uninterested in political wanking, and supportive of Sharism's
decision not to put a lot of time into this (they really need to focus on
building their core business/philosophy, which IMHO will at some
point naturally intersect with FSF/GNU philosophy), but part of my company's
mission is to provide the most freedom-friendly hardware, always with at
least one OS that is at least on track to being on the FSF/GNU supported
distro list, so FYI we'll be selling Ben Nanonote preinstalled with
http://librewrt.org/ sometime this year.

We'll also be working with the FSF to get that configuration on their
endorsed hardware list; I've already been talking to FSF people about this
and so far nothing has been mentioned as being a showstopper hardware-wise,
and also they seem fine with the LibreWRT concept, which just had its alpha
release but needs a few more bugs worked out before it is shippable /
submittable to GNU for evaluation.

Of course any other company is welcome to do this work as well, the results
of my company's work (w.r.t. software source) will be freely available, and
if there are any other such companies (or super-interested individuals), my
company would be happy to work with them/you to avoid duplication of work
etc.

Happy Hacking,
--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com