some idea about cleanup the [tracking_backfire] branch

Mirko Vogt lists at nanl.de
Thu Oct 28 06:29:26 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 22:00 +0800, Xiangfu Liu wrote:
> Hi All
Hey

> as you can see we have create another branch name [master]
> which we should always commit patches to [master] branch.
>
> we want cleanup the [tracking_backfire] branch.
> for now the [tracking_backfire] is far from upstream [backfire]
> I have try diff between [tracking_backfire] and [backfire]
> the patch is 2.9M, and there are ~560 files are differents
> most of the files is merge from upstream's [master] branch.
> (which shouldn't be there)
>
> we only modified :
>  target/linux/xburst/
>  package/uboot-xburst/
>  data/
>
> so my idea about cleanup the [tracking_backfire] is like this:
>
> 1. remove the "data/" folder, try to create a openwrt package
>    which contain Ben NanoNote files. package name:
ben-nanonote-files :)

That won't work I guess.

The idea (of at least <data/qi_lb60/files> which is linked to <files/>)
is to apply the files in the very end to the rootfs-directory of which
the image is generated afterwards.

That enables the possibility of overriding specific files of packages
without modifying the package-Makefiles itself (in regard of special
changes just for the NanoNote).

When packages are going to be built and the "Install"-routine of each
package is executed is defined only by the package dependencies
(DEPENDS:=...) - so we can't ensure a particular package is built and
installed in the very end just before generating the actual image.

That's what <files/> is for which - in the recommended setup and setup
of which the official images are built of - contains the content of
<data/qi_lb60/files>.

> 2. remove the [tracking_backifre], create a clean checkout from
> upstream
>    [backfire] branch
>
> 3. manual apply patches (< 10, target/linux/xburst,
> package/uboot-xburst)

Could you eleborate? To me it sounds like we're going to lose our
(git-)history of work on the former xburst- and current
tracking_backfire-branch.. which I'd like to keep.

However git should be able to help us here creating patches of commits
which touched data/, package-xburst/ or target/linux/xburst.

> then we can create series patches on new [tracking_backfire] branch.
> send to openwrt upstream or merge back to upstream [backfire].

I don't think it'll be a trivial task extracting the individual commits,
however in general I agree that's the way to go.

mirko