How much disk space to build image?

Alan Post alanpost at sunflowerriver.org
Thu Sep 9 23:52:29 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 02:10:33AM +0000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> Alan,
>
> > I purchased one the day after a friend showed me his and he wouldn't
> > let me take it home.  I was happy to get my ship notice today, as I
> > did not know how many units you produced and therfor whether 3
> > months after the release date there would still be any available.
>
> Oh don't worry. The Ben NanoNote is our foot in the door, and we
> won't pull back. It allows us to build the business infrastructure
> for bigger and better things to come (payment options, online shop,
> distributors, shipping and customs, certifications, customer support,
> returns, marketing material, press relations, etc). I think we have
> successfully shipped to over 40 countries by now, added Ecuador,
> Chile and the Philippines recently - of course, mostly just 1 or 2
> units.

This is wonderful.

I wish to provide what I hope is useful information, but it isn't
something I can act on.  Please ignore it if I'm not being helpful.

I would like sharism.cc to sell extra USB cables and batteries.  I'm
specifically interested in having a second USB cable, as I spend most
of my life in and between two places, I prefer not to take a cable
with me, but have one at each endpoint.

I'm sure I can find a cable that works with the the Ben NanoNote,
but I would have purchased an extra one when I purchased by Ben if
they were available on sharism.cc.

I'd also like to purchase spare batteries, both to extend the time I
can operate without power, and to replace the battery as it wears.

I'm aware of this: http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Compatible_batteries

I would like to have the ability to purchase the LiBT80, and I'm not
sure I currently can without purchasing a Ben?

Regardless, having the ability to purchase something like a Ben NanoNote
is insanely great.

> We are currently making another run of 1000 Ben NanoNotes, I go to the
> factory next week for a few reflashing days.
> It will absolutely 100% remain in stock. We will make as many more as
> we can sell. Millions!? :-)

Awesome.  I'll likely purchase a second one to do testing on, as it
seems I'll need to do debugging and testing, but I also need a
platform that I'm not constantly reflashing to do work on.

Here is a big picture/big dream question:  Is there a page on the
wiki named "Manufacturing a Ben NanoNote."  Namely, a page that
starts with the IP you've developed and gives step-by-step
instructions for someone that isn't Qi Hardware to have their own
Ben NanoNote manufactured.

It seems this is the standard by which to judge open hardware: can
you replicate the process?  I suspect also this is asking a lot, so
consider it a mental exercise.

> If you want to see something cool, check this out
> (not on sale yet, but maybe you can make it yourself? :-))
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/atusd/atusd-20100908-inserted.jpg

To my untrained eye, that looks like a wireless device.  Is it?

-Alan
--
ko djuno fi le do sevzi