Java's Father on why qi-hardware is screwed.

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Wed Sep 29 22:13:32 EDT 2010

"Java's Father on why Qi copyleft hardware has a great future"

> James Gosling:  I mean this is one of the reasons that hardware
> manufacturers often don't open source their drivers. Because if they
> open source their drivers, then other hardware manufacturers will look
> at that and go, oh, well your hardware must stomp on this patent
> device.

He's right. That's the old way of doing things, but the new way is
copyleft hardware: embrace the concept of free software and content,
build hardware that is a perfect match for free software.

Focus on manufacturing quality, longevity, customer service.
Not on information hoarding, customer lock-in with proprietary software
or patents.

Nice link though, good to see that others are thinking about the
problem too. If you want to help, please send them a comment or email
back, tell them about Qi Hardware.
Back to work...
Wolfgang