Ben Keyboard Hack

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Tue Apr 12 04:47:50 EDT 2011

> As everyone probably knows, I am probably the only one to lament
> QWERTY on the Nanonote. So I am thinking of the following hack: First,
> I cut a thin sheet of magnet into tiny squares to fit over the keys,
> then adhere them to the keys.  The second part is to make magnetic
> letters to place on the magnetic "receivers" as one pleases. The issue
> I forsee is the extra thickness incurred preventing the lid from
> closing.

> I might try this soon, let me know what you think.

> In case it was not clear, this hack gives you a movable rearrangeable
> keyboard layout , it does not deal with the software problem.

With regard to the software problem: emacs has a dvorak input method
built-in (it assumes you have a standard english layout and remaps
accordingly).  keyboard shortcuts are not affected, only text input
changes.

Enable it via: <Esc> x set-input-method <Ret> english-dvorak

or put the following text into your ~/.emacs config file

  (set-input-method "english-dvorak")

But somehow I don't see much use of dvorak for hunt-and-peck typing.

cheers,

David