WPAN as innovation?

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Thu Apr 14 10:57:09 EDT 2011

This is totally helpful. One final thing to you all and the list, what
user/human facing applications are people interested in making for this
and/or see that could be made on top of BEN-WPAN / SLOWFI?

What would be the dream that can sell someone who is not a freedom advocate
and is just interested in having connectivity? Is it simply so one can gain
network connectivity to a hub, aka, get internet?

What range can we expect and how many nanonotes could talk to each other at
the same time?

Cheers (trust me this is going somewhere, I just know when to ask the
experts!)

Jon

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at sharism.cc>wrote:

> Jon,
> thanks for sharing your thoughts!
>
> > Is freedom really innovation? As in we have the freedom to make our own
> WPAN?
> > Or, are we caught just doing the same thing that is happening in
> > industry, but without any money?
>
> When you get wireless connectivity in a piece of copyleft hardware, you can
> expect to
>
> *) be able to incrementally improve or modify many more things than you
> typically could, without the need of a large investment or large team.
>
> *) be able to manufacture the same or an improved solution, because not
> only the result was published, but also how it got there. See for example
> the extensive test tools Werner created as part of the ben-wpan
> development, for antenna performance testing etc.
>
> *) be able to verify whether the communication protocols embody principles
> you find valuable, to avoid interested parties twisting the behavior of
> the network in their favor (neutrality, QoS, lawful interception, etc)
>
> Those are the core things that you will uniquely and typically find in
> copyleft hardware wireless solutions. On top of that of course we still
> have to implement useful applications.
> At the point of the application, to the user it will often not matter
> whether that succeeds on a proprietary or on a free network. The user
> will rightfully only judge whether stuff works or not.
> I'm quite optimistic though that once we unleash it right, we will in
> fact see the most spectactular new wireless applications on copyleft
> hardware, for the very reasons listed above.
>
> Was this helpful?
> Wolfgang

Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/ | http://fabricatorz.com/
chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
+1.415.830.3884 (global) | +1-510-499-0894 (sf)
+86-187-1003-9974 (beijing)