what can we learn from iunika gyy?

Jane Andreas JaneAndreas at gmx.com
Tue Apr 19 02:57:27 EDT 2011

Ihave recently been interested in the Iunika GYY LAPTOP, but upon learning more, prefer the Ben for several reasons. In addition, I think we can use gyy's example to perhaps better oursecond Nanonote, YA.

 the basic specs of the GYY are:

 400mhz mips cpu
 128mb SDRAM
 800x480 lcd
 (most importantly) PROPRIETARY version of GNU/LInux
 included wifi and ethernet
 3 usb ports

 also, these are not yet available outside Europe.

 Notes:

 If IUnika sees fit that a 400mhz chip should be fine on their wVGA display, whatever screen we end up with on the YA will probably be smaller and therefore we have more punch behind our combination. We may not have 128 M of ram, but will probably not need it.

 Problems I See, or areas where the iunika falls to Nanonote are:

 Dead-end proprietary version of Linux ( I suppose a real hacker could change this, but some hardware may require a non-free driver)Nanonote already boasts 3 OS options and more are possible.

 most likely uses a proprietary battery,availability of spares unknown.

 also, Nano is shipping worldwide, not just in Europe.

 Hardware is probably not nearly as Free as Ben.

 Though it seems out of the question, it would be interesting to have an ethernet port on YA. (Maybe it is not worth it?)

 thanks for reading and add your thoughts