ROS on Freerunner

Jan Tuennermann tuennermann at get.uni-paderborn.de
Tue Apr 19 03:46:51 EDT 2011

Ron,

thanks for forwarding.  ROS (Robot Operating System) is a kind of meta
operating system. It does not really handle OS functions, also it is not
real time. It's a great concept that boosts development in the robotic
area. It is based on a publisher / subscriber paradigm; you implement
your software as node which will publish and receive messages. For
example, if you wrap a face detection algorithm or something in a
ROS-node, it would subscribe to image messages and probably publish a
custom message with coordinates of a face, or maybe another image with
the face marked. This node can now receive images from any node that
publishes images. For example, a webcam-node. Or a node that loads
test-data from hard drive or maybe from a 3D-Simulator. Also, there are
a lot of components that already come with ROS. So if we wanted to
display the image with the face marked in it, we would just need to make
an image_view node (comes with ROS) to subscribe our images. More
complex components can display 3D point-clouds (for example from a laser
range finder), etc.  ROS nodes register with a master and they don't
need to be on the same machine, as they can communicate over network.

Right now I'm trying to get a gpsd_client node to run on the OpenMoko.
On a remote PC a gpsd_viewer node will run, subscribing gpsFix messages
which it will use to display the Moko's location in a map from the
OpenStreetMap project. I'm planning to connect the Moko to a micro-
controler which then controls a RC-car. I tested this before, so I'm
optimistic that I will get it working. When it works I might add a X-Box
kinnect, which is already supported by ROS to capture 2D and 3D visual
information to enable the RC-car for autonomous driving.

best regards,
Jan

--
  M.Sc. Jan  T U E N N E R M A N N   _________________________________

                                               University of Paderborn

					  Faculty of Computer Science
                                Electrical Engineering and Mathematics
                                                               GET Lab

  phone: +49/ (0)5251/ 60 - 2219                         Pohlweg 47-49
  fax:   +49/ (0)5251/ 60 - 3238                     D-33098 Paderborn

					 Faculty of Cultural Sciences
					     Department of Psychology
							       PsyLab

  phone: +49/ (0)5251/ 60 - 2907                  Warburger Straße 100
  fax:   +49/ (0)5251/ 60 - 3528			    D-33098 Paderborn

  email: tuennermann at get.uni-paderborn.de