Problem with audio playback in mplayer

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Apr 21 06:56:52 EDT 2011

Hi,

I just spent half an hour to find out why movie and audio files would
playback with extremely low volume levels on my nanonote.

Even tried all of mplayer's audio filters + re-encoding my material with
higher volume levels.

Turns out that the master volume is muted by default, which doesn't
actuallly *mute* audio, but merely reduces the volume a lot.  Also the
master volume level seems to be ignored in that case.

The solution is to manually run 'alsamixer', select the <Master> slider,
and press 'm'.  Uhh.  What about putting audio into a usable
configuration at boot time?

Seems that Gmu works around the issue itself unmuting audio as required?

cheers,

David