Upgrading the mplayer package

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Apr 21 14:12:01 EDT 2011

> Hi David, Actually, seems that they release their tarballs:

> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/?C=M;O=D

> They offer MPlayer-1.0rc4 (openwrt-packages version is rc3).

Yeah, saw the 1.0r4.  However, their download page says [1]

  "We provide nightly Subversion snapshots generated at six in the
  morning (GMT+1). They are generally stable and recommended.
  [..]
  We keep the old releases and ancient releases of MPlayer, in case
  anybody is interested."

"old releases" is where they link to the folder containing the 1.0rc4,
so I was a little caucious to rely on it.

If we upgrade mplayer, we're certainly going to hit a point where we'll
have to upgrade ffmpeg, too.  Now with ffmpeg not part of
openwrt-packages.git there are going to be interesting problems.  Maybe
building a monolithic mplayer with its own private, statically linked
ffmpeg is not so bad after all?

cheers,

David

[1] http://mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html