Build errors with Debian 6.0.1a

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Apr 21 23:16:46 EDT 2011

Ernest Kugel <erik.kugel at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys, I am trying to follow the instructions for building a release
> image from the wiki. Just wanted to ask if anyone on Debian 6 have
> seen what appears to be errors with pango, which  break the build? For
> me, the deal breaker seems to be related the following line, but I
> might be misreading the awful log:
>
>     /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong
> format

I suspect that the wrong "-L" flags somehow got into the `libgojbect-2.0.la'
file in your OpenWRT staging area, because I've seen this happen elsewhere--
in other projects; though, I followed through the same instructions, here,
as you did, and didn't see this error in my build.

I *did* see some other errors where packages building via the OpenWRT system
didn't specify something (e.g. libSM) as a dependency (because it wasn't
needed), and so that auxiliary library wasn't in the OpenWRT staging area,
but the build-system managed to find the *headers* installed in my *host*
system--and then decided to try to use the non-existent library in the
staging area.

I'm not sure what's going wrong with your build, or where specifically
(though I would gess that the failure in pango is just `collateral damage');
I suppose it's possible that you have *something* in your host environment
that's `leaking' into the build of GObject, in a way perhaps vaguely
similar to what I'm experiencing, though I'm not sure what.

Take this all with a grain of salt, I guess--I don't want to send you
down the wrong path....

Do you, perhaps, have LDFLAGS set in your shell? Or maybe some optional
library that GLib/GObject autoprobes during ./configure (LDFLAGS in libtool
`.la' archives ca be somewhat `contagious', if a cross-built library
specifies a subordinate library that is found in the host environment
rather than the cross-build environment...).

Did you install or remove and "-dev" packages in Debian while your
OpenWRT build was underway?

I'm on Debian 6.0 also, BTW; I fixed my `environment-leakage' problem
by removing a bunch of `-dev' packages from my Debian host system
until I was finished building OpenWRT. It meant that I couldn't
work on my other projects like FoxtrotGPS until OpenWRT finished
building, but..., eh.