VP8 working fine

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Apr 25 04:03:20 EDT 2011

> Yes, I think we can include VP8 in the whitelisted codecs, for now I'm
> not aware of credible patent threats against it.  Since David was
> asking for a complete codec whitelist, Dirac also comes to mind, I
> think ffmpeg supports Dirac so if it's easy to enable, we should
> enable it.

I have now stripped down MPlayer to patent-wise known-good codecs.  A
version for testing is here:

http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/~spock/openwrt/MPlayer_r33304-2_xburst.ipk

Package source at openwrt-packages.git

Included functionality:
video:

  rawvideo, theora, vp8

For audio:

  mp2, vorbis, flac, mp2, various pcm stuff

As containers currently included are:

  avi, ogg, matroska, flac, wav, srt (subtitles)

Seems to playback theora and webm video so fare.  Please test&comment.

cheers,

David