Audio Playback issue on Nanonote

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Tue Apr 26 12:15:41 EDT 2011

> I discovered this problem and originally attributed it to the
> Mic. When I would record audio files and play them back, they would
> sound really noisy. I assumed that the mic caught alot of background
> noise, however when I replayed the files on my laptop, I was amazed at
> how clear they were- this meant it was NOT the mic, but the sound
> playback on the Nanonote itself that has "added" noise. In other
> words, where a file has silence, it is not represented that way on the
> Nanonote. There may not be a conceivable way to remedy this, but I
> imagine it mighthave to do with the audio driver? Perhaps it is an
> inherent property of the hardware we chose for the Ben?  In any case,
> I am making a note of it.

What command are you using for playing back sound on the ben?  Noise
might come from playback using an 8-bit per sample audio format.
Another reason might be attempting to playback while audio is muted
(volume will be low, but still hearable).  What does 'alsamixer' say?

Which command did you use for playback?  Can you try with 'mplayer'?

David