ubb-vga version 2, first impression

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Thu Apr 28 05:42:11 EDT 2011

Hi Werner,

> Here is a first impression of what this looks like:
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/ubb/vga/ubb-vga2-first.jpg

wow this looks great.  What kind of resolution is possible with this
approach?  You're still using double-scan (sending every line twice)?
Guess we could use the extra pixels to do some dithing for showing more
colors.  Maybe even some temporal dithering, if the flicker is
acceptable?

> The timing is more accurately VGA than what I had before. Note that
> the whole display content now fits on the screen and all pixels have
> the same width.

When running the VGA port, any chance that other software can still
execute in parallel?  Maybe we'd need a kernel driver processing an
interrupt once per line or once per frame, then locking the CPU for the
VGA data transfer.  How much %CPU would that leave for programs to
consume?

Just speculating how your code could be reused as an mplayer vidix
video-out driver :)

David