ubb-vga version 2, more image sources and better color mapping

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at sharism.cc
Thu Apr 28 23:19:04 EDT 2011

> I wonder though how the nanonote and milkymist can work together?

The easiest is to use the Ben as a music player with a standard 3.5mm
audio cable, directly from the Ben into LINE-IN of Milkymist One. That
works today.

Theoretically the Linux kernel running on NanoNote could support USB
gadgets for keyboard and mouse, then you could connect the Ben to
Milkymist One over USB. The problem is that afaik keyboard and
mouse gadgets don't even exist in kernel.org yet - not many people
are running Linux as the kernel on their keyboard :-)

Another way would be Ethernet over USB (Ben as USB client, M1 as USB host).
Milkymist One would have to support this (probably also a lot of work),
but then you could run anything on the Ben like rtems shell, jtag, OSC,
or Web interface (which also doesn't exist on M1 now and probably is
serious work).

I think more use cases for Ben+M1 will emerge over time, and slowly (except
for music player which works today). Since Werner can now do VGA over
UBB, who knows maybe we can do Ethernet over UBB as well? No idea ;-)

>From my understanding however, I seems to make more sense to work on
using Android or iPhone/iPad devices with M1 first. For OSC for example,
or for a web interface. These are lower hanging and more fun fruits from
Milkymist's perspective, imho.

I may very well overlook or misjudge something. There are so many options
how things can work together, sometimes easy, sometimes difficult, and
I'm learning every day...
Wolfgang