Copyleft Hardware Update 2011-08-08

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Mon Aug 8 16:29:39 EDT 2011

Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Copyleft_Hardware_News_2011-08-08

I think this is the fattest news so far. Something is quite clearly
happening :-)

Most of the activity was in June, with mailing list traffic at
127 kB and IRC traffic at about 400 kB. July saw a bit of a lull
with an all-time low of only 48 kB on the list but still 260 kB
on IRC.

Here are IRC activity statistics for #qi-hardware and #milkymist:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/tmp/irc-qihw-0811.png

The scripts that generated the plot are in
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/wernermisc/source/tree/master/ircstat/

> If copyleft hardware doesn't
> reach 1 billion people, something went wrong.

But why should it fail to reach just as many people as copyleft
software does ? I don't think Free Software is an isolated
phenomenon. It's rather a shift in how we do things in general,
what role "pure" information plays, and how we view it.