Ben NanoNote next release progress

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Tue Aug 16 07:28:18 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:12:20AM +0000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:

> > I would agree with you if we were talking about a minor feature; removing
> > Python means removing any software running on Python, and depriving
> > developers of the ability to hack Python scripts on their NanoNotes.
>
> You understand that it is broken now. Removing broken software is
> far more honest than keeping it around. I will always vote for the
> removal of broken software, rather than fooling people about what
> actually works. Which I am sure is not what you are after either, you
> just express your sympathy for Python which is great and which I agree
> with.
> But still Python doesn't work now, so it's better removed and added back
> once it works again.

Of course having broken software installed is not at all useful, and only
contributes to the idea that the Ben is an unstable piece of garbage. Nobody
wants that[1].

Given that Python is such an important piece of software, and one that
many other programs currently available on the Ben rely on, I think that
delaying the release of a new image until the problems preventing it from
working can be ironed out is better than release an image with no Python.

Just my 0.2 $CURRENCY.

[1] By the way, last time I tried NetHack it refused to start due to the
    fact it was unable to lock some files. Has it been fixed?
--
Andrea Bolognani <eof at kiyuko.org>