Ben NanoNote next release progress

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Tue Aug 16 08:30:52 EDT 2011

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:12:20AM +0000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:

> > I would agree with you if we were talking about a minor feature; removing
>> > Python means removing any software running on Python, and depriving
>> > developers of the ability to hack Python scripts on their
>> NanoNotes.
>>
>> You understand that it is broken now. Removing broken software is far
>> more honest than keeping it around. I will always vote for the
>> removal of broken software, rather than fooling people about what
>> actually works. Which I am sure is not what you are after either, you
>> just express your sympathy for Python which is great and which I
>> agree with.  But still Python doesn't work now, so it's better
>> removed and added back once it works again.

> Of course having broken software installed is not at all useful, and
> only contributes to the idea that the Ben is an unstable piece of
> garbage. Nobody wants that[1].

> Given that Python is such an important piece of software, and one that
> many other programs currently available on the Ben rely on, I think
> that delaying the release of a new image until the problems preventing
> it from working can be ironed out is better than release an image with
> no Python.

Which is why Xiangfu asked for help fixing it in the first place.
Threatening to remove it if unfixed, might be the pressure needed to get
somebody to work on it.  Why don't you just install the toolchain,
enable gdb suport, and try to give us some backtraces?  This is
community driven development after all. If the community (including you)
has no interest in fixing python, than there's no python for now (but
lots of other new, fun software).  People needing python can still use
the older firmare.

cheers,

David