Ben NanoNote next release progress

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Wed Aug 17 05:48:21 EDT 2011

>> I got a little further trying to run the new image under qemu
>> emulation for testing.  It works like this:
[..]

>> Apart from missing python, 'gforth' is broken:
>>
>> bash-4.2# gforth.real /usr/bin/gforth.real: can't load library
>> 'libffi.so.4'

> Hi David

> welcome back. miss your work on nanonote :)

Starting to miss nanonote development myself :) Still won't have any
larg chunks of time for nanonote hacking for at least another month.

You see I've become lazy, only testing the firmware under emulation :)

Still I hope that this is going to allow easier debugging and/or doing
automated tests.

> yes. the 'python' already removed in
> openwrt-xburst.full_system-08142011-1719/[1].

> I have tried gforth.real in real ben nanonote. works fine in real
> hardware: root at BenNanoNote:/# gforth.real Gforth 0.7.0-20100918,
> Copyright (C) 1995-2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.  Gforth comes
> with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `license' Type `bye' to
> exit ok ok ok bye root at BenNanoNote:/# uname -a Linux BenNanoNote
> 2.6.37.6 #1 PREEMPT Mon Aug 15 22:17:09 CEST 2011 mips GNU/Linux

Hmm that is strange.  Sure that rootfs and UBI image are equivalent?
Doesn't look like there is way to extract the UBIFS on my PC?  Maybe
with loop-device + block2mtd?

> [1]http://fidelio.qi-hardware.com/~xiangfu/compile-log/openwrt-xburst.full_system-08142011-1719/

I'd really like to test the python problem (sometime), but how can I
achieve that, if you don't include python in the firmware?  Could you at
least build the ipk package for people to tinker with?  I'm pretty sure
nobody is going to run the config.full_system build.  And a python built
on config.minimal might behave differently.

Maybe move the .ipk into a different directory to prevent accidental
installation?

cheers,

David