Off-button reaction time

Andrea Bolognani eof at kiyuko.org
Wed Aug 17 06:17:45 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:29:02AM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:

> While you're at it, could someone also please make the on-button a lot
> faster? It's very easy: the rtc has a register which controls how long a
> peak on the powerbutton-line must be to be considered "not noise". Since
> our button is on the inside, there is no noise to be expected
> (accidentally pressing it doesn't happen). So that register should be
> set to 0. Given that it always takes a few seconds, I think it is set to
> the maximum value currently. Or it is not set at all, and just happens
> to be large most of the time...

Hold on a second: either I’m utterly mistaken, or the kernel is still far
from being kicked in when the power button is pressed. I always assumed
the circuitry needed that delay, and it was not avoidable.

Are you telling me that I’ve been wrong the whole time, and that it is
possible to achieve instant—boot making changes to the software only?

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof at kiyuko.org>