Introduction

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com
Fri Aug 19 19:27:17 EDT 2011

 On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 23:44:12 +0400 (MSD), kyak wrote:
> netsurf is already ported and its SDL interface is almost not usable
> without the mouse. keymouse somehow addresses this issue, but this is
> still no good. gdk-pixbuf interface of netsurf could be more usable
> without the mouse, but it's slow like hell.
>
> the only working "graphical" browsers now are w3m (-img) and links
> (-g), both ported btw.
>
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
>
>> On Monday 25 July 2011 09:14:49 cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com wrote:
>>>  Hello everyone,
>>>
>>>  I am extremely interested in your organisation. In particular, I
>>> think
>>>  you have a veritable masterpiece in the Nanonote line. If I may
>>> say so,
>>>  I think I have found the "ukulele" of computers- it is small,
>>>  marvellously capable and hard to put down, just like a uke.
>>> However,
>>>  there are many improvements to be made, I am sure you get that a
>>> lot.
>>>  I am interested in learning to be almost entirely self-sufficient
>>> in
>>>  terms of understanding the inner workings of a system so I can
>>> take full
>>>  advantage of the famous 4 Freedoms.
>>>  Urgent issues I would like addressed in the second Nanonote are:
>>>  change of keyboard layout. I am guessing we have more than one
>>> mother
>>>  tongue for people hacking on the NN. Qwerty can't possibly serve
>>> all of
>>>  them equally well. qwerty... was cool about 100 years ago...not so
>>> much
>>>  now, especially since we have the design freedom to think for
>>> ourselves.
>>>  maybe a vote or compromise can be reached...perhaps we should
>>> optimise
>>>  it for thumb-typing...
>>>
>>>  need of a browser. I don't need to say much here, I'm not looking
>>> for
>>>  FireFox4 here, just something light and graphical (Minimo, Dillo,
>>> etc.)
>>
>> Take a look on netsurf (http://www.netsurf-browser.org/). I tried it
>> on Zipit
>> Z2 (it's pretty similar to nanonote, just pxa270-based and has wifi)
>> and it
>> looks pretty good (see
>> http://anarsoul.blogspot.com/2011/04/netsurf-on-zipit-
>> z2.html). Maybe someone want to make port for nanonote? :)

 Considering that the Zipit is more hardware for the money with almost
 2x the cpu power and wifi, do you think it's worth getting one to hold
 me over until the new nanonote comes out? What OS do you run on the
 Zipit? Have you been locked into a contract? It has baffled me how
 netsurf is so broken on Nanonote, it took me by surprise because I used
 to run Firefox BonEcho on my HP Jornada with same RAM and a 206 mhz ARM
 chip. However, I think that's the way things are, at least for now.