Introduction

cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com cenobyte at dragoncrypt.com
Fri Aug 19 20:36:48 EDT 2011

 On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 16:45:53 -0700, Ron K. Jeffries wrote:
> Zipit2 seems to be an OK little 'puter, and it dioes have WiFi and a
> keyboard and a similar diosplay. People run Linux on it
>
> From the sidelines I'm not sure how the small community around ZipIt
> compares with QiHardware, which has an exceptionally high IQ.
>
> Be prepared to wait quite a while for a follow-on to Ben Nanonote.
> There are only some casual discussions so far. There is no funding,
> and nobody is working on defining the project.
>
> If you can afford to buy a used Palm Pre2 it can be rooted, has a
> keyboard, a decent screen, yada yada yada. I have a friend who works
> on the libre open distro (forget which one) and he uses it as a
> portable SSH terminal to control various and sundry servers.
>
> There are other options where you can have a decent pocket Linux
> computer, with net access (if that is your use case). In my case my
> daily driver is an Android phone with a great sliding keyboard.
>
> These solutions do NOT meet the requirements of CopyLeft Hardware.
> But I can get done what I need to get done.
>
> I speak for nobody, not even myself. ;)

 The only thing I don't like about the zipit community is that there is
 some content that is "only for paying customers" which doesn't mean
 people who just bought the device, you have to pay for the actual
 content. I of course would not use any of that information.

 As for the new follow up nanonote, like you said, nothing is certain
 and as the peon I am I pretty much lost hope. the zipit, although it has
 a dumb name, is basically all I wanted from the Nanonote for half the
 price. I can handle not dealing with the community in as intimate a way
 as at qi.

 As for the pre2 and android, I wouldn't really ever use them. I don't
 even consider android linux, having recently bought a 99$ tablet with
 android and returning it the same day.