Qi-Hardware logo: the basics

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Aug 23 20:03:09 EDT 2011

A while ago, Jon prosed to change the Qi-Hardware logo
http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki-logo.png
to a more digital-looking style:
http://fabricatorz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/qi-hardware.org-logotype-150x100-black.png

As I was toying with the idea of engraving the logo in a future
project, I was having a closer look at it. (*)

(*) The current logo would be very difficult to engrave. First of
    all, it is full of non-trivial curves that would first have to be
    captured or, if available in an easily processed format,
    converted. Second, the stroke width varies and gets very thin at
    some places and so does the space between strokes.

    This limits what a CNC mill can do with such a shape. Jon's logo
    is much more convenient in that regard. (But see one of the next
    mails for pitfalls.)

The first problem was to convert Jon's design into something properly
digital. At first sight, it looks as if it used a bitmap on a very
simple grid, but when you measure the lengths, things get a little
murky. Also, the edges don't coincide with pixel boundaries but are
anti-aliased.

Here's what I hope is a reasonably faithful approximation of Jon's
logo design, based on a simple grid:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/logo/qi-hw.pdf

The original logo is in black/grey in the background. My "digital"
version is overlaid in red.

Source:
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/wernermisc/source/tree/master/logo/qi-hw.fig

Note that the numbers are simply multipliers of a basic unit length
that would be chosen according on the respective application.

Does this look good so far ? And do we want to change at all ?