Qi-Hardware logo: keep-out areas

Werner Almesberger werner at almesberger.net
Tue Aug 23 20:04:43 EDT 2011

The next thing to consider is whether we should recommend (*) any
areas that should be kept clear from other items around the logo.
And if yes, how they should be defined.

(*) The Qi-Hardware logo isn't a registred trademark, so all we can
    do here is give recommendations and guidelines for what we
    consider good use. Anyone is free to follow, ignore, or ridicule
    them ;-)

There's much more to borders than just a distance. I've illustrated
a few parameters here:

http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/logo/border.pdf

Source:
http://projects.qi-hardware.com/index.php/p/wernermisc/source/tree/master/logo/border.fig

First, with start with what I called the "Equidistant rectangle
from the extents": a simple rectangle, parallel to the x/y axis,
and a certain minimum distance (5 basic units in this example) from
any point on the logo.

Going to the left, we could of course use a different basic shape
from which we calculate the distance. Given that the logo has a
very off-balance center of gravity, we could for example reduce
the part of the rectangle around the "foot". I called this "from
[a] derived shape", because it is derived in some way from the
actual shape of the logo.

Of course, it doesn't have to be a rectangle. i've illustrated this
with a circle.

Now the bottom row. We take again the logo's outline as a
reference. This time,the outline "hugs" the logo closer than
before. Now we can calculate the area that would correspond to the
"territorial" waters if this was a country.

We can vary the geometry. Euclidian is the most natural but the
rounded corners may be inconvenient. Manhattan [1] distance yields
straight lines. If we use Chebyshev distance [2] instead, we even
get only right angles.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxicab_geometry
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chebyshev_distance

Note that "Chebishev territorial" is concave. If we don't want to
put other things into the logo's white space, we can make the
border a little more convex. Note that it's still concave around the
foot. If we were to eliminate this as well, we'd return to a
rectangle.

Finally, a concave geometry could still accommodate an "enclave".
E.g., for a sub-project's logo, something that modifies or amends
the Qi-Hardware logo (such as a license logo/name), etc.

So, do we want to recommend any keep-out areas ? And if yes, what
should they be like ?