Battery life & other stuff

Hans Bezemer thebeez at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 24 02:59:21 EDT 2011

On Wednesday 24 August 2011, you wrote:
> thank you very much for this writeup! A pleasure to read and it will
> get some people (like me :-)) thinking and reflecting.
Hi Wolfgang!

Thank you for making such a beautiful device. I must admit, I bought one
without having in mind where I could use it for, but after a year of
intensive use it is very clear to me. It's not only the software, the design
of the hardware is also crucial.

A big plus is the WONDERFUL keyboard, sturdy, big enough keys make it very
easy and comfortable to use. I use it in what I call the "Ninotendo
position" - after the game controller. 4 fingers under the device, thumbs to
type. You could never do that with a mobile phone or an iPad.

Said that, you lack the ability to use the arrow keys reliably or use complex
commands like CRTL-K-X, which require you to slightly change position.
However, for creating NEW content it is good enough, more so because the
normal interpunction is not shifted. Even the small SPACE key doesn't bother
me too much.

I've written thousands of words using it (a column is about 300-350 words), so
I can think I can speak of experience.

A minor annoyance are the hinges of the screen. Friction wise it doesn't work
too well, allowing it to fall back or forward. There is no way to adjust
friction. It doesn't bother me too much, because I bend it all the way back
when typing, but when demonstrating it as the "smallest laptop in the world"
it makes a flimsy impression.

Battery life is a big plus too, as I mentioned. I know NAND memory
deteriorates over time, but I don't know if the rate of decay I experience is
normal. Is there a way to get a status report on bad blocks? Is there a way I
can determine whether it is still safe to flash? On the other hand, I never
lost data nor experienced any other problems - it's just the PEB messages.

In short, the REAL value of this device is that you CAN do with this device
what you CAN'T do with a mobile phone - the keyboard is crucial. The
potential of host-USB and uSD slot are mind boggling - we haven't even
scratched the surface there.

Hans Bezemer

--
Absolutely no trees were killed to produce this sig. Well, OK, we had to tie
one up and torture it. That's it.

Visit our website! http://thebeez.home.xs4all.nl/4tH/

*** Home of the 4tH compiler! ***